Church's was founded in 1873 by Thomas Church and his three sons Alfred, William and Thomas Jr., although the family has been active in the footwear field since the 17th century. Within a few years the factory grew in fame and size, also expanding outside of Great Britain. With the advent of the new century, Church's began to export its products outside Europe, first to the United States and Canada, then to South America. In 1921, the first direct sales shop opened in London; in the same year he introduced the first female models. The first American store in New York in 1929. In 1957 the company built and moved to a new factory in Northampton, where it still resides. In 1999 it was purchased by the Prada Group, the final owner, after a short parenthesis, since 2006.
The company specializes in classic and elegant leather shoes, both male and female, and related accessories (brushes, polishes, waxes, shoe shapes). The shoes are produced by hand by about 400 specialized craftsmen, all employed in the only plant in Northampton: each pair of shoes requires approximately 250 steps and eight weeks of work, with an average annual production of about 210,000 pairs, 68% of the such as for the foreign market. The creation process is called "Good Year Welted Construction", and consists of a particular process that makes solving easy.